June 23, 2011

"The Modern Magi: A Christmas Fable"

Author: Carol Lynn Pearson
Genre: Fiction / Fable
Publisher: St. Martin's Press, 1994
Pages: 90
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: All her life, Annabelle Perkins has dreamed of traveling to Bethlehem and bringing a gift to the birthplace of Jesus. But when it finally happens, what actually occurs is not what Annabelle expects.

Review: I must preface my review with this. . .between graduate school, kids, and work I've felt dissatisfied lately with my ability to get through a book in a reasonable amount of time. It's frustrating for a fast reader such as myself to spend a week (or longer) on one novel, when I am more accustomed to instant gratification from a book. Meaning, I am used to finishing a novel in one day preferably, but two or three is acceptable (and admittedly, more realistic these days).

I hit the library, sans kids, on Monday with the sole intention of finding books short in stature and thin in width, not content. You know the kind I'm talking about. The librarian noticed my stack of 13 short, thin books and commented. I shared my sob story, "I just want to finish something."

The joke is on me though, I finished this book in under 30 minutes tonite and was left feeling under-satisfied. I was just getting into the story and it ended. Just like that. . .and very predictably as well.

If you want a quick read that won't give you much food for thought, but will give you the satisfaction of finishing something in a "reasonable" amount of time, this is well worth your while. It is a "warm and fuzzy" kind of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment