November 20, 2013

The Sisters

Author: Nancy Jensen
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: St. Martin's Press, 2012
Pages: 352
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: Growing up without a mother in hardscrabble Kentucky in the 1920s, Bertie Fischer and her older sister, Mabel, have only each other—with perhaps a sweetheart for Bertie waiting in the wings. But on the day that Bertie graduates from eighth grade, good intentions go terribly wrong, setting off a chain of misunderstandings that will change the lives of the next three generations.
What happens when nothing turns out as you planned? From the Depression through the second world war and Vietnam, and smaller events both tragic and joyful, Bertie and Mabel forge unexpected identities that are shaped by a past that no one ever talks about. Gorgeously written, with extraordinary insight and emotional truth, Nancy Jensen’s brilliant first novel, The Sisters, illuminates the far-reaching power of family and family secrets.
Review: I sent my daughters to the second floor of the library to the children's room, and I hit the audio books section. Knowing I had only a few minutes to spare before all hell would potentially break loose upstairs I grabbed the first interesting cover (I know, I know) on the shelf and hoped for the best. The story line seemed cliche, but I hoped the author could infuse come creative twists and make it interesting.

The story is not a neatly-wrapped package, but is life? This story was believable because it was not all sunshine and roses. I enjoyed this cast of characters and the mix of personalities, although I would have liked the author to have spent more time with Mabel's side of the family.

The years jump ahead throughout this story, but the author does manage to catch the reader up and tie events together.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment