December 19, 2015

The Sleeper and the Spindle

Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishing, 2015
Pages: 64
Rating: Highly Recommend

Synopsis: In this captivating and darkly funny tale, Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell have twisted together the familiar and the new as well as the beautiful and the wicked to tell a brilliant version of Snow White's (sort of) and Sleeping Beauty's (almost) stories.

This story was originally published (without illustrations) in Rags & Bones (Little, Brown, 2013). This is the first time it is being published as an illustrated, stand-alone edition, and the book is a beautiful work of art.

Review: I started my 2016 Reading Challenge a little early. This was the first book on my list, "a book based on a fairy tale." I don't typically read such things and was sort of dreading this category, but I loved the re-imagined or fleshed out tale of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. 

I started this book when Sal said he was going to go get a shower. I was done by the time he came downstairs after, so it's not a huge time commitment. I was sorry it was so short actually since it had left me wanting more. That's why I typically don't read short stories.

The illustrations are true works of art as well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment