January 14, 2016

Still Growing

Author: Kirk Cameron
Genre: Autobiography
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers, 2008
Pages: 224
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: Kirk Cameron is best known for his role as loveable teenage troublemaker Mike Seaver on the award-winning TV series Growing Pains, but his rise to fame and fortune is only part of his incredible story. In this intimate autobiography, Kirk opens up about his early years, his rocket to stardom, his life-changing encounter with Jesus and the hard choices he made along the way to live in the Way of the Master. Fans will get an up-close and personal look at what drives the former teen-magazine heartthrob and find out how God and family became the secrets behind his celebrated smile. In his own words, Kirk shares how he's still growing even through the triumphs and temptations of his Hollywood career.

Review: I haven't read a celebrity memoir or autobiography that I felt would win any writing awards. In fact, I only picked this one to read because my 2016 Reading Challenge says to read a book an autobiography, and I took that to heart (in other words, I wanted to stay true to autobiography and not go in the direction of a memoir). 

Anyway, this was one of the better celebrity-authored books I've read. Kirk Cameron is a likable guy. I was right to have a crush on him all those years ago.

Thoroughly enjoyable. Light read. Fast read. Good read.

I'd like to point out that my mom had told me years ago that Kirk Cameron was too old for me. As it turns out, he's only a couple months older than my husband.

I also want to mention that I requested the first season of Growing Pains from the library. My memories of the show are sketchy, at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment