March 12, 2016

King's Oak

Author: Anne Rivers Siddons
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishing, 2001
Pages: 608
Rating: Do Not Recommend


Synopsis: Leaving behind a disastrous marriage, Andy Calhoun moves to the small town of Pemberton, Georgia, "in search of banality." What she discovers, though, is not serenity, but Tom Dabney, a passionate and magical man.

An exuberant poet who worships the wilderness surrounding Pemberton, Tom is everything Andy doesn't need in her life right now. But despite warnings from friends, Andy is soon deeply immersed in Tom's life and his world . . . a world he will do anything to protect. When Tom declares war on the enemy poisoning his woods, it becomes clear that Andy must choose between her life with Tom and the one she left behind . . . if Pemberton society will take her back.

Review: After scouring the library for books over 600 pages, I settled on this one despite Siddons not being one of my favorite authors. The books I've read by Siddons in the past were light, fluffy reads so I figured how bad could it be. The answer is. . .pretty bad. It was good for a couple hundred pages in the middle, but the beginning was slow and the end was slower. I also had no idea this was a mystery of sorts until the last chapter. Dumb.

The characters annoyed me, more and more as the story plodded along. Eventually, I found myself in too deep to stop, but it's not one I recommend. There are too many good books out there to trouble yourself with this one.

This wasn't the first time I've read Siddons. I didn't love The Girls of August, but it was better than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment