October 14, 2016

Freedom's Price

Author: Michaela MacColl
Genre: Historical Fiction, Pre-Teen
Series: Hidden Histories (#2)
Publisher: Highlights Press, 2015
Pages: 288
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: Eliza Scott isn’t quite a slave, but she’s not free either. She’s not a prisoner, but her family lives in a jail. Eliza, who attends a secret floating school on the Mississippi River because it’s illegal for her to read, says she understands how dangerous her situation is—but her parents know she’s not afraid enough. When a devastating cholera epidemic strikes the city, Eliza discovers she will have to be clever and resourceful to escape a slave catcher and the worst fire in St. Louis’ history. Will Eliza be willing to pay the price of freedom? Freedom’s Price is the second book in the Hidden Histories series, which examines little known moments in American history. Based on actual events and people, the book is extensively researched and includes an author’s note and bibliography.

Review: This is a book I would have eaten up as a 12 or 13 year old. It's always been my favorite genre, and the story was compelling. However, I think this book was actually written for kids younger than that, and I don't think it would have held their attention. I don't know how much about the Dred Scott Decision kids that young know yet.

I actually decided to read this to see if it would be appropriate for my 9 year old, and I just don't think she's old enough for the subject matter yet. The significance and backstory would go over her head since she doesn't have a point of reference yet.

I'm really conservative when it comes to the content, language, and general-age appropriateness of what my girls read (currently ages 9 and 8), and there is nothing of that nature in this book. In fact, that's why I decided to read this to see if it would be appropriate for my 9 year old, and I just don't think she's old enough for the subject matter. The significance and backstory would go over her head as she doesn't have a point of reference yet. No language, no sex scenes etc. It's "clean."

As an adult reading this, I liked it. I also learned a lot considering I never considered Dred Scott the person in all my years of studying the pre-Civil War History. A lot of the characters and situations in this story are based on real people, situations, and events. The author goes into more detail about this in the Afterward, and that was the most fascinating "chapter" in the book.

I read this series out of order because I expected this to be the better of the two books I had, but surprising to me was that I enjoyed Rory's Promise so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment