February 12, 2017

Making Waves

Author: Lorna Seilstad
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Baker Publishing Group, 2010
Pages: 368
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: When spunky Marguerite Westing discovers that her family will summer at Lake Manawa in 1895, she couldn't be more thrilled. It is the perfect way to escape her agonizingly boring suitor, Roger Gordon. It's also where she stumbles upon two new loves: sailing, and sailing instructor Trip Andrews. But this summer of fun turns to turmoil as her father's gambling problems threaten to ruin the family forever. Will free-spirited Marguerite marry Roger to save her father's name and fortune? Or will she follow her heart—even if it means abandoning the family she loves?

Review: I know, I know. I really need to get off this genre and into something else. I promise I am.

Anyway, I was drawn in by page 2. And seriously, a heroine by the name of Marguerite. Love it. There were some really funny parts/sentences early on and while that seemed to taper off as the story unfolded, it kept my attention until the very end. 

I love this time period in American History. The socialites, the gilded age, the excess, all of it. It makes for fun story telling. Lake Manawa was an actual resort in Iowa for the elite and I loved that this author re-imagined that world for a series.

I don't read historical fiction looking for errors or accuracy, but sometimes such things are unavoidable. For example, Marguerite receives an engagement ring in 1895, but rings didn't become a tradition until the 1900s. In one chapter Marguerite is said to be wearing a swim cap, but on the next page her hair somehow ends up in a bun from which some tendrils escape while swimming. In 1895, she most definitely would have worn a swim cap at a public pool/lake.

Marguerite and Trip's romance seemed unlikely for 1895. It was far too physical for a couple who had just met each other and were not promised to one another. This author tried a little too hard perhaps to make Roger as unlikable as possible too. These two situations didn't fit the times, but it's certainly relate-able to someone living in the 2000s so maybe it's okay in this instance. It's fiction so one shouldn't expect total accuracy.

Finally, I wouldn't classify this as Christian Fiction for several reasons. God and the Bible are smattered throughout but these references came across a bit disingenuous to me; as though the author felt that if she mentioned them enough, this could be considered Christian Lit and it just didn't work for me. If you want excellent Christian Lit, read Janette Oke instead.

I know it sounds like I have more negative than positive to say about Making Waves, but I truly did enjoy it, despite the obvious errors/inconsistencies. The characters and the author's writing style sold me.

TIP: Google images for Lake Manawa Resort for pictures/postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment