May 14, 2017

The Pilot's Wife

Author: Anita Shreve
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Little, Brown, and Co, 2015
Pages: 320
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: A pilot's wife is taught to be prepared for the late-night knock at the door. But when Kathryn Lyons receives word that a plan flown by her husband, Jack, has exploded near the coast of Ireland, she confronts the unfathomable-one startling revelation at a time. Soon drawn into a maelstrom of publicity fueled by rumors that Jack led a secret life, Kathryn sets out to learn who her husband really was, whatever that knowledge might cost. Her search propels this taut, impassioned novel as it movingly explores the question, How well can we ever really know another person?

Review: How many times has this theme been explored, "How well can we really know another person?" 

I gave The Pilot's Wife a chance because it came highly recommended by some friends, and because I had enjoyed The Stars are Fire. This grabbed me by the end of page 1.

Maybe it's not the best book for reading a month before you're set to fly your family of five across the country and back, but I threw caution to the wind. 

I like a book with a twist or two, and this certainly had that appeal. The Pilot's Wife won't go down in history as one of the best novels I've ever read, but it was good. I'd like to read another Anita Shreve novel.

Note: This was originally published in 1998 with a different cover.

Other Anita Shreve novels I've read and reviewed:
The Stars are Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment