September 1, 2017

Sixteenth Summer

Author: Michelle Dalton
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Publisher: Simon Pulse, 2011
Pages: 304
Rating: Do Not Recommend

Synopsis: Anna is dreading another tourist-filled summer on Dune Island that follows the same routine: beach, ice cream, friends, repeat. That is, until she locks eyes with Will, the gorgeous and sweet guy visiting from New York. Soon, her summer is filled with flirtatious fun as Anna falls head over heels in love. But with every perfect afternoon, sweet kiss, and walk on the beach, Anna can’t ignore that the days are quickly growing shorter, and Will has to leave at the end of August. Anna’s never felt anything like this before, but when forever isn’t even a possibility, one summer doesn’t feel worth the promise of her heart breaking….

Review: I should have been able to fly through this book, but ugh, this was painful. There was a time though, as a teenager, that I would have eaten this up. Now though, it seemed repetitive with exceedingly slow progression. I'm sure my age and life experiences play into those sentiments.

How did I end up reading a juvenile fiction novel you ask? Well, I took my son to the library the afternoon of my 40th birthday and needed a book to read while he played at the train table. I thought it might be amusing the read a book with "sixteen" in the title when I'm 24 years beyond that because I don't see how it's possible. The years have flown. 

It won't be long before my daughters graduate to these books, and despite my criticism of the writing, it was age appropriate for the 12 and up set. I would have no issue with them reading this. No language, no sex or graphic romance scenes. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment