October 12, 2017

Wonder

Author: R.J. Palacio
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Random House, 2012
Pages: 320
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid--but his new classmates can't get past Auggie's extraordinary face. Wonder, a #1 New York Times bestseller, begins from Auggie's point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community's struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.

In a world where bullying among young people is an epidemic, this is a refreshing new narrative full of heart and hope. R.J. Palacio has called her debut novel "a meditation on kindness" --indeed, every reader will come away with a greater appreciation for the simple courage of friendship. Auggie is a hero to root for, who proves that you can't blend in when you were born to stand out.


Review: I really enjoyed this book, but it did affect my mood. I found much of it to be sad and distressing, and I felt empathy, not only toward Auggie, but toward others in his life. I listened to it on my commute and couldn't figure out why my heart felt so heavy walking into work, and then I realized it was my choice of "reading" material. By the time I realized the impact, Wonder was having, I was too far into it to quit. I'm not sure reading the book would have made the same impact. For this one, audio is the way to go.

This was written for a juvenile audience, but the message is relevant for both children and adults. I could see this becoming required reading for middle school students.

Lately, I've noticed this is a hot book and I'm glad I can say I jumped on the bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment