January 26, 2019

Educated

Author: Tara Westover
Genre: Memoir
Publisher: Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group, 2018
Pages: 352, 10 discs
Rating: Highly Recommend

Synopsis: Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, Tara Westover was seventeen the first time she set foot in a classroom. Her family was so isolated from mainstream society and there was no one to ensure the children received an education, and no one to intervene when one of Tara's older brothers became violent. When another brother got himself into college, Tara decided to try a new kind of life. Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and Cambridge University. Only then would she wonder if she'd traveled too far, if there was still a way home.

Review: I'm late to the party, but late is better than never.

This is a difficult book to review. The abuse, both mental and physical, is maddening. I hate that children grow up in this situations. On the other hand, this is Tara's story to tell, and I couldn't put it down. I was more fascinated than disturbed by the details. Not only did she survive, but she went on to become a PhD.

I'm by no means the perfect parent, but I think I'm doing okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment