February 10, 2019

The Girls at 17 Swann Street

Author: Yara Zgheib
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: St. Martin's Press, 2019
Pages: 384
Rating: Highly Recommend

Synopsis: Anna Roux was a professional dancer who followed the man of her dreams from Paris to Missouri. There, alone with her biggest fears - imperfection, failure, loneliness - she spirals down anorexia and depression til she weighs a mere eighty-eight pounds. Forced to seek treatment, she is admitted as a patient at 17 Swann Street, a peach pink house where pale, fragile woman with life-threatening eating disorders live. Women like Emm, the veteran, quiet Valerie; Julia, always hungry. Together, they must fight their diseases and faces six meals a day. 

Every bite induces guilt. And every step Anna takes toward recovery will require strength, endurance, and the support of the girls at 17 Swann Street.

Review: This book was emailed to me as one I may enjoy because of my reading history. I read the first chapter thinking if it grabbed me, I'd keep going. If it didn't, I'd choose something else. Had I started it earlier in the day, I would have finished it on the same one. 

The formatting is different, but Zgheib's writing style is similar to Lisa Genova in that she writes in an informative, yet readable narrative. I learned a lot, and the characters felt real. This is worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment