April 2, 2019

Killer in the Pool

Author: Tim Zimmermann
Genre: Non-fiction
Publisher: New World City, Inc., 2016
Pages: 52
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: On February 24, 2010, Tilikum, the largest killer whale at SeaWorld, suddenly dragged Dawn Brancheau, his trainer, into the pool and killed her. Journalist Tim Zimmermann set out to find out why. His riveting account of Tilikum's life and the history of killer whale entertainment at marine parks dives into the world of the ocean's top predator. It chronicles Tilikum's capture and separation from his family and the physical and psychological stress he experienced in marine park pools over some thirty years. It explores Tilikum's involvement in two previous deaths. And it details the inherent risks of using captive killer whales for human entertainment. Ultimately, Zimmermann explains how the life of Tilikum came to mean the death of Dawn Brancheau. 

Review: I read Beneath the Surface about a year ago, and when I saw this was a short e-book available online for free, I decided to give it a try. I visited SeaWorld several times as a child, and it always left such an impression. At one point, I wanted to study marine biology. Not because I wanted to be a trainer, but I just found the animals fascinating. I would go back and forth between the same shows all day long. Fascinating.

There's a sadness now in what I had found so fascinating and enthralling as a child. This book highlights all the negatives to putting these animals in captivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment