June 9, 2019

Where the Fire Falls

Author: Karen Barnett
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: The Crown Publishing Group, 2018
Pages: 352
Rating: Recommend


Synopsis: Watercolorist Olivia Rutherford has shed her humble beginnings to fashion her image an avant-garde artist to appeal to the region's wealthy art collectors. When she lands a lucrative contract painting illustrations of Yosemite National Park for a travel magazine, including its nightly one-of-a-kind Firefall event, she hopes the money will lift Olivia and her sisters out of poverty.

After false accusations cost him everything, former minister Clark Johnson has found purpose as a back-country guide in this natural cathedral of granite and trees. Now he's faced with the opportunity to become a National Parks Ranger, but is it his true calling?

As Clark opens Olivia's eyes to the wonders of Yosemite, she discovers the people are as vital to the park's story as its vistas - a revelation that may bring her charade to an end.

Review: With better weather and more daylight, I haven't been reading as much. We've also decided to sell our house, and we have plenty of projects to complete before that can happen. 

It's also been awhile since I read a book I could get lost in pretty quickly. Light, predictable historical fiction is usually the genre I need to get back into my groove. 

My husband and I visited Yosemite for a day on our honeymoon, and it remains my favorite national park. This book was great. Exactly what you'd expect from this genre. I had such a hard time leaving these characters behind.

Vintage National Park Series
Book 1, The Road to Paradise
Book 2, Where the Fire Falls
Book 3, Ever Faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment