February 8, 2020

Mothers and Other Liars

Author: Amy Bourret
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: St. Martin's Publishing Group, 2010
Pages: 320
Rating: Highly Recommend


Synopsis: Ten years ago, Ruby Leander was a drifting nineteen-year-old who made a split-second decision at an Oklahoma rest stop. Fast forward nine years: Ruby and her daughter Lark live in New Mexico. Lark is a precocious, animal loving imp, and Ruby has built a family for them with a wonderful community of friends and her boyfriend of three years. Life is good. Until the day Ruby reads a magazine article about parents searching for an infant kidnapped by car-jackers. Then Ruby faces a choice no mother should have to make. A choice that will change both her and Lark's lives forever.

Review: In my quest to read a book set in every state this year, I am finding out just how many are set in New England or along the East and West Coasts. I was happy to find one set in New Mexico.

Interesting premise, and in these kinds of books I often find I put myself in the mother's role. What would I do in this situation? What outcome would have I expected? And so on. This novel raises so many ethical questions, and I felt for every single one of these characters. The only reason I didn't give this a full 5 stars on Goodreads was because some of the details were a little too convenient; still highly recommended though.

No comments:

Post a Comment