January 18, 2021

When Calls the Heart

Author: Janette Oke
Genre: Christian Fiction / Historical Fiction
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers, 1985
Pages: 226
Rating: Highly Recommend

Synopsis: Elizabeth Thatcher is young, pretty, cultured, and educated. But when she journeys west to teach school in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, she's completely unprepared for the conditions she encounters. Still, she's determined to succeed at the formidable task of fitting in with the locals and shaping the hearts and minds of the schoolchildren in her care.

She's just as determined not to give her heart to any of the local frontiersmen. Until she meets Wynn Delaney, a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. . .

Review: I first read these books in high school - I read allll of Janette Oke's books in high school. I ate them up. Because I loved the books, I shied away from the Hallmark series of the same name. But then, over Christmas I was up late alone one evening, and decided to give the tv series a try. It became an obsession. I binge watched all 5 seasons over the course of two weeks. Then I ordered seasons 6 and 7 from Amazon.

High school was a long time ago and I knew the series was inspired by, and not based on, the originals so I was curious.

The books aren't as magical reading them now at 43, versus as a teenager, but I'm still enjoying them. I also find it interesting how the writers of the tv stories adapted different events/circumstances in the the books for television. 

It's not often I re-read books since I live by the mantra - so many books, so little time, but these are definitely worth my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment