October 19, 2021

Around Troy Hill, Spring Hill, and Reserve Township


Author:
James W. Yanosko and Edward W. Yanosko
Genre: Non-fiction
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing SC, 2011
Pages: 128
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: The Reserve Tract across from Fort Pitt was set aside in the 1780s by the government of Pennsylvania as a way of raising funds to pay the troops who had served during the American Revolutionary War. Although many areas in the commonwealth were set aside like this, few grew to such prominence as the distinct neighborhoods of Troy Hill, Spring Garden, Spring Hill, and Mount Troy. Photos of the German and Croatian immigrants who helped build a new nation by providing steel, leather products, food, and even beer; their spirit and work ethic set a standard that many Americans to this day try to emulate. The Heinz complex, the old E&O Brewery, St. Anthony's Chapel, Most Holy Name Church, and the Teutonia Mannerchor are several of the local landmarks that were established generations ago and are still being utilized today.

Review: A little backstory - I've known about the City of Pittsburgh neighborhood, Troy Hill. I actually live very close to it. However, it wasn't until my son started CCD at Most Holy Name that I was able to explore it. I fell in love once I spent some time driving the old, narrow streets, and seeing what's left of its glory days. Troy Hill also has great views of Pittsburgh.

I requested this book from my local library. As I was reading, one picture in particular caught my eye. The caption mentioned the subject's name, and her last name was the same as one of college roommates. I messaged her and asked, "a relative?" She replied that this woman was her great-aunt and proceeded to fill me on lots of family stories, and some of the history she knows of Troy Hill.

Another fun fact, the authors are my college roommate's cousins.

If you also have an interest in Troy Hill and the surrounding area, you may enjoy The Women of Troy Hill: The Back-Fence Virtues of Faith and Friendship. I read this years ago before I knew much about the area and before I started keeping this journal (blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment