November 27, 2022

Weaving Sundown in a Scarlet Light

Author: Joy Harjo
Genre: Poetry
Publisher: Norton, W. W. & Company, Inc., 2022
Pages: 160
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: Harjo selected her best poems from across fifty years, beginning with her early discoveries of her own voice and ending with moving reflections on our contemporary moment. Her poems are musical, intimate, political, and wise, intertwining ancestral memory and tribal histories with resilience and love.

Review: I haven't read poetry since college, but I was looking for books to celebrate Native American Heritage Month, and this seemed like a good option. It was the week of Thanksgiving and we had out-of-town guests visiting. I knew I wouldn't have a ton of time for reading so I decided to give poetry a try.

Since I don't read poetry, I feel underqualified to rate this, but I did like the notes the author included at the end for each poem. I didn't realize this information was available until I was almost finished with the collection. I would have preferred these notes either before or after each poem throughout the book, rather than at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment