April 6, 2024

The Haunted Showboat

Author: Carolyn Keene
Genre: Mystery
Publisher: Penguin Younger Readers, 1957
Pages: 192
Rating: Highly Recommend
 

Synopsis: Bess and George invite Nancy on a trip to New Orleans, to help their relatives solve a mystery. Their uncle wants to restore an old showboat, the River Princess, but no one will go near it. Mysterious occurrences are making everyone believe the boat is haunted.

Review: My mom read The Little House books to me when I still pretty young, and they certainly captured my imagination. However, Nancy Drew were the first chapter books I remember reading on my own, and I flew through my mom's many books that she had kept from her pre-teen years. She didn't own all of them though, and I recently decided to see if Nancy still held the same appeal now, 70 years after they were first published and decades after I read them.

They do.

I enjoyed reuniting with Nancy (and Bess and George), and going on this adventure. They certainly read different now that I'm not years younger than Nancy her and pushing Hannah Gruen's age.

The Haunted Showboat is book #35.

No comments:

Post a Comment