April 27, 2011

"Didn't I Feed You Yesterday?"

Author: Laura Bennett
Genre: MemoirMommy/Chick Lit
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group, 2010
Pages: 201
My Rating: Highly Recommend

Didn't I Feed You Yesterday will make moms with kids of all ages laugh out loud. The icing on the cake of this delicious read are the sketches and captions at the beginning of each chapter.

Synopsis (book jacket): This irreverent, eye-popping memoir from an irrepressible mother of six gives the inside scoop on raising a large hoard of boys in the jungle of New York City without sacrificing your sanity, or your stilettos. In colorful stories marked by her acerbic wit, Project Runway star Laura Bennett teaches us that you can still drive a minivan (if you must) without scrapping your six-inch heels. Laura flips conventional wisdom on its head, while taking us on a wild ride through domestic chaos. Riotous, charming, and brutally honest, this fashion icon blows the lid off the traditional role of wife and mother.

Review: "Kids are short, not stupid". . .just one of Laura Bennett's many gems in Didn't I Feed You Yesterday: A Mother's Guide to Sanity in Stilettos. I actually took notes, well maybe not notes per se, but I did jot down page numbers as I was reading so I could come back and share these tidbits with you. I'm hoping these are just as funny out of context as they were when I read them.
  • "If you see me misty eyed at a promotion ceremony from kindergarten to first grade, it’s probably only because I couldn’t defer my appearance."
  • "Why on earth would a complete stranger ever ask you whether you breastfed or not? I might be a throwback, but I think who sucks on me and how often in the privacy of my own home is my business."
  • "All my kids' therapists say they are very well-adjusted."
If you're a mom, just trying to get through another day, this book is for you. Laura will help you not only get through the day, but you'll actually laugh along the way. Grab the book, a glass (or sippy cup) of wine, put your kids in time out and the cushions back on the sofa, and curl up. You're going to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment