April 28, 2011

"Let the Great World Spin"

Author: Colum McCann
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Random House Publishing, 2009
Pages: 400
My Rating: Do Not Recommend

Synopsis (barnesandnoble.com): A Pushcart Prize-winning author and contributor to the New Yorker, the Atlantic Monthly, and GQ, Colum McCann is renowned for his carefully constructed character studies. No exception, Let the Great World Spin follows the fortunes of a menagerie of New Yorkers through a day in 1974—the day of Philippe Petit's deathdefying tightrope walk between the newly built Twin Towers.

Review: The wonderful-ness of this book was lost on me. It won several awards and reviews make it sound amazing. However, I found it to be a very tedious read. The author's style didn't appeal to me and the plot wasn't enough to keep me interested. It also seemed to jump around quite a bit and I had a hard time following. Even those that like it admitted that it was backward and forward and one person even recommended reading the paperback, as opposed to eBook format, so if the reader wanted to go back a chapter or two for clarification they could do so easily. That's too much work for me. However, if anyone cares to “dumb” this down for me, please comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment