October 20, 2019

The Silent Sister

Author: Diane Chamberlain
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: St. Martin's Press, 2015
Pages: 368
Rating: Highly Recommend

Synopsis: Riley MacPherson has spent her entire life believing that her older sister Lisa committed suicide as a teenager. It was a belief that helped shape her own childhood and that of her brother. It shaped her view of her family and their dynamics. It influenced her entire life. 

Now, more than twenty years later, her father has passed away and she's in New Bern, North Carolina, cleaning out his house when she finds evidence that what she has always believed is not the truth. Lisa is alive. Alive and living under a new identity. But why, exactly, was she on the run all those years ago? What secrets are being kept now, and what will happen if those secrets are revealed? 

As Riley works to uncover the truth, her discoveries will put into question everything she thought she knew about her family. Riley must decide what the past means for her present, and what she will do with her newfound reality. 

Review: Diane Chamberlain is one of my favorite authors. No one tells a story like she does. However, this had a couple flaws, although I still highly recommend this novel.

I guessed Lisa's truth pretty early on in the novel, by page 80. I don't know if it's because it's obvious or if I'm just that familiar with Chamberlain's writing style now. Secondly, Riley's brother was an unessential character. He caused more problems in the telling of the story than he had helped. The whole time I was reading, all I could wonder was why there was even a brother in this story. That character was one of Chamberlain's rare "misses." 

Despite these minor detractions, I really did love this novel. As I always say, I like some of Diane Chamberlain's novels better than others, but I've never been disappointed. That holds true.

No comments:

Post a Comment