September 5, 2020

Rookhurst Hall

Author: Elizabeth Jeffrey
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Severn House Publishers, 2010
Pages: 220
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: The discovery of two old photographs, one of a large house, the other of three teenage girls in Edwardian dress, puzzles twent-year-old Lucy Armitage and send her off on a quest with antique dealer Ben Manton to find their origins. Because although she is sure it can have nothing to do with her, one of the girls in the photograph is uncannily like Lucy herself.

Review: I didn't realize when I picked this book up that I had ready another book by Elizabeth Jeffrey, but I read Meadowlands in 2019. As with this book, it was the cover that drew me to that one. And, the covers are quite similar, both are graced by estate homes.

Regardless, I like Jeffrey's writing style. She tells a good story with no wasted words and the plot moves, each conversation and scene propelling the novel forward. Despite it's relative predictability in plot, I couldn't put this one down, and that is the marker of an excellent storyteller.

I will seek out more novels by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment