April 26, 2022

1491

Author: Charles C. Mann
Genre: Non-Fiction
Publisher: Penguin Random House, 2006
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: Contrary to what so many Americans learn in school, the pre-Columbian Indians were not sparsely settled in a pristine wilderness; rather, there were huge numbers of Indians who actively molded and influenced the land around them. the astonishing Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan had running water and immaculately clean streets, and was larger than any contemporary European city. Mexican cultures created corn in a specialized breeding process that it has been called man's first feat of genetic engineering. Indeed, Indians were not living lightly on the land but were landscaping and manipulating their world in ways were are now beginning to understand. Challenging and surprising, this is a transformative new look at a rich and fascinating world we only thought we knew.

Review: For as long as I can remember, I've had an interest in Native American history. As a kid, I thought it would be so cool to visit Peru to see the land of the Incas. I'd still like to. This book sounded right up my alley, although I was hoping for more information about the tribes that lived in what is now the United States. 

Really interesting book, but thank God for audio. The sections of this that don't interest me so much would have been quite tedious to read in print.

I recommend this only if you have an interest in the subject matter. This isn't the book to pick up if you're just looking for some good non-fiction reading to fill your days.

No comments:

Post a Comment