March 1, 2023

Death at Wentwater Court

Author: Carola Dunn
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publisher: St. Martin's Publishing Group, 2015
Pages: 240
Rating: Recommend

Synopsis: In early 1923, the young Honourable Daisy Dalrymple has made a decision that shocks her social class - instead of living in the Dower House with her mother and being supported by relatives, she's decided to make her own living as a writer. Landing an assignment for Town & Country to write a series of articles on country manor houses, Daisy travels to Wentwater Court to research her first piece. There she finds a household in turmoil, filled with holiday guests and recriminations. But that's nothing compared to the uproar when one of those guests drowns in a tragic early-morning skating "accident." When it is learned that this was anything but accidental, Scotland Yard is called in and a young Chief Inspector, one Alec Fletcher is called in to investigate. And therein hangs a tale.

Review: One thing you won't see many of in my reading journal/blog are cozy mysteries. This is just not a favorite or go-to genre for me. However, I'm participating in an online reading challenge this year, and March's prompt is, you guessed it, cozy mystery.

I hit my library's cozy mystery section and looked for a thin book. I landed on Death at Wentwater Court. First published twenty years ago, this is a reissue of what is a fan favorite. I myself am a big fan of Downton Abbey, and this story takes place in the 1920s, so right about the same time. 

Since this isn't my genre, it's hard for me to recommend or not since I don't "know" what fans of this genre love or actually look for, but this was fun. It's unlikely that I'll continue with the series, but keep checking back and maybe I'll surprise us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment