May 4, 2011

"Sarah"

Author: Marek Halter
Genre: Historical Fiction / Biblical
Publisher: Crown Publishing Group, 2004
Pages: 336
My Rating: Recommend

Sarah is the first book in The Canaan Trilogy and well-worth reading.

Synopsis: People may know that Abraham, the patriarch of the Old Testament, was the first man to spread God's word, but how many know of his wife, Sarah? Sarah abandoned everything - wealth, family, and status to follow Abraham and his alien God; a God of whom no one had heard

Review: Sarah caught my attention for several reasons. First, I was interested in reading a series set in biblical times. Sarah is the first book in The Canaan Trilogy. Secondly, my oldest daughter's name is Sarah. I've always been drawn to biblical names and I wanted to know more about the "first" Sarah. However, I knew before opening this book that it was not going to necessarily be historically accurate and that was okay. For more historically accurate accounts I could read the Bible.

Even with unusual names of people, countries, and not to mention, ancient cities I have a hard time imagining, I found this novel easy to read and interesting. Sarah comes alive for 336 pages and reinforced what I already knew - it's far better to be a woman in 2011 than in antiquity. I'm looking forward to starting the second book in this series, Zipporah, Wife of Moses, this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment